[tlug] Weird (network) Science

Another hypothetical situation, this one I am hypothetically
involved in :-)

A certain customer will be deploying a wireless WAN and selling
services to its tenants.  The network architecture will connect
their tenants on the campus to a central wireless router and
from their to a small on-campus computer room where some of
them will co-lo servers.

Because the tenants will want fast access to those servers, the
customer wants the wireless links running at best speed
(don't know at this point if the wireless routers support
rate-limiting or no, anyway; I doubt it - they only support
RIP V.1/V.2 routing), and wants to rate-limit their tenants
somewhere on the other side of the computer room.

The uplink will be a DSL line.

I'm considering ideas on how to achieve this.  One that I'm
kicking around is connecting a pair of Ciscos back to back
and running frame relay between them, creating a sub-interface
for each customer, squeezing their packets into the right
sub-interface based on source address, and using CIR to
rate-limit them, with the computer room being connected on
near-side router so the tenants could get full-speed access
to it.

That just feels like such a kludge, though.
I will also be looking into getting the same effect with a
Linux box inserted between the computer room and the DSL router.

Will be doing some googling tomorrow, but in the meantime,
what would you do?

TIA,

Jonathan