Re: [tlug] Laptops in Tokyo...

> Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> Getting a Japanese keyboard if you are going to use it mainly in
>> English
>> is a Bad Thing (TM). The space bar is too small, the henkan keys
>> either side get in the way,  and the special characters you can't live
>> without in Unix are in wierd places.

Please allow me to disagree.  The space bar on the Japanese keyboard is
"wide enough" for the touch-typist, who doesn't have to move the thumb
too much to the left or right.  I find the Japanese keyboard no less
useful than an English one, even for typing mainly in English.  But
then again, as Stephen mentions below, you don't need a Japanese
keyboard to input Japanese, so it doesn't really matter which one you
use.  It's just that most computers sold in Japan come standard with a
Japanese keyboard.

Regards,

Raymond