Re: [tlug] Laptops in Tokyo.......which companies give you the most bang for your bucks!!

On Tue, 6 May 2003 12:05:18 +0200
Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: [tlug] Laptops in Tokyo.......which companies give you the most bang for your bucks!!
> Phillip Hilton wrote:
>
> > Back on the case Dell has been recommended to me as component quality
> > is good........but I am being seduced by Vaio. However, I hear that
> > Sony uses intergrated Sis chipsets which I have great contempt for....

I just bought a barebones with a POS Sis chipset.  So far, no sound, no LAN (even using a new card) and video only at 800x600x65K.
I may have to resort to putting Windows on it.

> I know Jonathan will start having fits if I dare condone the use of Sony
> products here, but I've been using Vaios for the past five years and
> never had any significant problems with them, not even when I decided to
> change to decent operating systems[1].

I used to have a first generation Sony PictureBook that I fitted with a 30GB drive and a wireless card running RH8.  (I wound up giving it to my brother-in-law as a thank-you for hosting my site for a while.)
I really miss it.  A lot.
Great portability, though with its crappy battery, you need a wall plug nearby to do *anything*.
(Even my 12 inch iBook seems like a load of bricks in comparison.)
I may get another, if I see one cheap...

>However, if had to buy a new
> notebook these days, I'd definitely go for a Mac. What more could you
> want: It's Unix with a decent user interface, and you can install Linux
> on top and run both OS at the same time (not "dual-booting", mind you,
> because MOL lets you switch between OS X and Linux as if they were mere
> virtual consoles).

Mine (iMac & white 12 in. iBook) have had a lot of hardware problems.  Doubt I'd buy another. YMMV.
Jim

> Cheers
> Ulrich Plate
>
> [1] http://www2.gol.com/users/plate/pcgr505rgk.html