[tlug] SuSE out of the box

Hello, I'm a lazy, ignorant and dimwitted not-even-newbie. [I hear a chorus
of groans.]

A Tlugger signs himself

> Linux Enhanced computer user (SuSE 8.2)

Aha! Just last week (in London) I bought the ("Personal" flavor of the)
very same. For years I've been going to use Linux but I've usually been
too timid/lazy/etc. (The exception was my abortive attempt to install RH
six-point-something on a laptop borrowed from my employer.) But M$'s
antics are making me gag, and my two floortops are both dead, so now
seems as good a time to make the plunge.

The trouble is, I'll be intercoursingly busy for the next few months.
I'm willing to learn how to use Linux, but not also how to get and
install patches, drivers, or to argue with different manufacturers and
shops about hardware problems, etc. etc. Moreover, I've successfully
assembled computers before, but I'm not in the mood for it now. So I'm
thinking of going to Akihabara (which is conveniently close) and talking
with some store that builds computers and is conversant with Linux, to
have them build me something, install SuSEgnulinux, and then briefly
come around to my office and have them get it running with my particular
printer, monitor, LAN, etc.: English interface, Japanese-capable.

I realize that this is a sissy way of doing things and that I'd have to
pay a bit for it. But does it sound silly as well as sissy, and if not,
which shop would you recommend?

Or are they all likely to turn their noses up at SuSE?

(For that matter, whether in German, English or Japanese, how d'you
pronounce SuSE? Sue or Zoo, and followed by sea, zee, セ, ゼ, or what?)

--
Peter Evans <peter@example.com>