From: ext Stephen Lee [mailto:sl@example.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 8:09 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: [tlug] nifty ADSL router (conclusion)

Pietro Zuco <pietro@example.com> wrote:

> I'm about to live in Tokyo and the home companion where I will stay, wants to
> contract ADSL. I just wanted to know opinions about different ADSL users in
> Tokyo, because I don't want to contract an ISP, and stay all day
> connecting/disconnecting.

Depending on the provider, either DHCP or PPPoE/PPPoA is used.  If PPPo*
is used and the ADSL modem is dumb (i.e.  without a router built-in),
you might need software on the PC to connect.

But if you plan to use multiple PCs on the connection, it is a good idea
to get a NAT router, configure it with your PPPo* username and password,
and have the router stay logged on.  You then only use DHCP on the LAN
side and don't need to worry about needing to connect/disconnect.

If as you say nifty has a modem with router built in, that should
already take care of the problem for you.

Stephen