Re: [tlug] Broken PPP connection to GOL -> Fusion

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Godwin Stewart wrote:

> FWIW, the login and password you have to supply is written on the page. This
> was merely an attempt to stop robots sucking up everyone's e-mail address
> and spamming them.

  Well, I _do_ feel stupid about that.  I mean, I could understand the
reason for it, but just never saw the login and password there on the page.

  I've had some very good advice on my problem making a PPP connection
to Fusion's new number.  Not to mention some truly heart-warming
private responses from other old list members.  I fully expected the
former, but not the latter.

  The bottom line here is that the problem is 'solved', but I still
don't have a clue why my trusty olde dial-in script just won't work with
the new Fusion number.

  Following a suggestion that Jonathan Byrne made, I tried making a new
connection from scratch using the point-and-click tools available
under my current RH7.1 setup.  Same failure.  However, when I did the
same thing in a fresh new RedHat8.0 setup, I was online faster than you
could say 'newbie'.  Go figure.

  I then went back into my regular 7.1 setup, convinced that I would be
able to make a connection, but an hour or more of fiddling led nowhere
at all.

  It's a relief, of course, to see that I can connect to this new Fusion
number, but I really would like to know just why my old dialup script is
broken like that.  It seems so very odd.  I pared away a number of
options that had been added in more recently, and I tried a whole bunch
of new options, but all without any effect.

  Here's the stripped-down version of that script:

# look in /etc/chap-secrets for password info
# in /etc/ppp/options  only 'lock' is specified

/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" ATZ OK ATDT2907901 CONNECT "" \
 ' /dev/ttyS1 115200 -detach debug crtscts modem \
defaultroute noipdefault user "denismcm@example.com"   > ~/pppd.lognew &

 If anyone has any ideas to offer, I'd gratefully try them out.  It
really bothers me to have to depend on a mouse-click - even if it does
work.  I mean, I don't even know whether this RH8.0 point-and-click
thingie is using 'pppd' or 'wvdial' or what???

  Cheers, ProblemSolvedStillDistressed

--
Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka