[tlug] java font properties and RH8 // encoding trouble

Does anyone have a java font.properties file that can be used with Red
Hat8 (and kochi Japanese fonts)?

I installed the watanabe and wadalab fonts that I could find but they
must not have been the full set as I still get errors like:

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-watanabe-mincho-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-c-*-jisx0208.1983-0" to
type FontStruct

Yes I did:

ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
mkfontdir

The font is just not there.

Any advice on uninstalling the rpm and installing the earlier 7.3
version with those fonts?

ALSO, ANOTHER LINUX/JAPANESE RELATED JAVA QUESTION:

If I write a file with:

BufferedWriter writer = new BufferedWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(new FileOutputStream("MyClass.java"),"Shift_JIS"));

And then compile it with:

javac -encoding SJIS MyClass.java

and then load it into a midp application on a mobile,

the characters in   MyClass.java  and in the mobile come out as  & #45674;

I am running linux from in an English Shell, would it make a difference if I set my language to be Japanese in that shell?!?

If I save that same file manually with JEDIT (java open source word processor etc.) in SJIS -- all is happy and the code in the file is unreadable to me (because of my English system) but runs on the mobile just fine.

Is this a bug?  Limitation of Java??  Error on my part???

TIA

Shawn <javajunkie@example.com>