Re: [tlug] Red Hat 9 (was: small redhat 9 review)

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 06:50:01PM +0900, Thomas Kruemmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 15:49, Charles Muller wrote:
>

> > All I can say, after installing and running RH9 (and I'm sure that the other
> > major distros are at a comparable level of functionality), is that I feel sorry for
> > all of those individuals and companies out there who think that they have no
> > choice but to continue to pay big bucks for Windows upgrades. It's really a
> > crime!
>
> In a nutshell! The level of quality and the functionality that Linux has
> achieved over the years while catching up with Windows is plainly
> astounding. It's very hard to dislike RH9. If I had to start a new
> company from scratch, the IT solution would certainly be Linux.

Recently, I got a call from an old MS and Cisco mentor who has recently
begun playing with Linux. Though he's primarily using GUI tools at the
moment, such as Webmin, he was highly impressed with how far it's come
since he last used it several years ago.

I find that even the niche distros (Arch and Crux to name two) handle
most hardware without problem. Even laptops are usually fairly easy to
get working (though I'm fortunate enough to have broadband, and don't
know how easy or hard it is to get a laptop winmodem working--I do
remember seeing one company, advertising laptops made for Linux
commenting that the modem that comes with the laptop wouldn't work.)

I'd have to say the same about FreeBSD. When I first began playing with
it, I had several issues with pretty vanilla hardware--X free and an
ASUS board (forget the model number, fixed by the developers in April
last year, and they'd had a workaround for months before that) KVM
switches (if you didn't have the switch on the box as it booted, the
mouse wouldn't work in X, fixed several months ago) and some other small
things.  I now use it almost entirely for my desktop work, and a year
ago, that would have involved more effort than I was willing to give.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Wesley: I can't tell you how sorry I am that I allowed this to happen.
Cordelia: I believe it was Faith who allowed her elbow to collide with
my face.

Wesley: At least you only got the elbow.
Cordelia: Well, if it's any consolation, it looks like you were
tortured by a much larger woman