Re: [tlug] Make question?

From: David Santinoli <u235@example.com>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:17:11PM +1000, Jim Breen wrote:
>> > What I want to do is check automatically if any of "foo", "bah",
>> > etc. have been touched more recently than "manifest". I could put
>> > this test in a script run by cron to warn me that "manifest" needs
>> > attention.
>>
>> Write a Makefile like this:
>>
>> manifest: foo bah bletch
>> 	@example.com "Need to update 'manifest'!"
>>
>> Note that there is a TAB at the beginning of the second line, before the
>> '@'.

I wasn't explicit enough in my request. The above works fine (another
TLUGer suggested it by email), but what I really want is a message saying:
"the `bah' portion of the manifest needs updating, etc ."

(Sam Tilder's suggestion probably works too, but the result would be the
same as the above, AFAICT.)

O K !  I have it:

manifest: foo.mk bah.mk bletch.mk

bah.mk: bah
        @example.com bah.mk
        @example.com "Need to update 'manifest' with bah!"
foo.mk: foo
        @example.com foo.mk
        @example.com "Need to update 'manifest' with foo!"
bletch.mk: bletch
        @example.com bletch.mk
        @example.com "Need to update 'manifest' with bletch!"

Hmmmm. Works OK, but only once. I guess I could do the `touching' in another
script.

Thanks

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298