Re: [tlug] Re: yahoo!bb, dhcp, eth1

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Jim O'Connell wrote:

> First try using a different port on the hub - not the uplink.
> (Pick a couple safe ones in the middle.)

Thanks.

> (There is no "driver" for the Y!BB modem, and it
> will not show up in your list of devices on the PC.

Got it. (finally)

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Stephen Lee wrote:

> Show us your "lspci -vv" output.

the cards I have in there are isa,
in fact (nothing like state-of-the-art).
both are being recognized
normally, as far as I can tell.
The one that is connecting to the modem
is a NE2000 clone from AI Brain called
E2000T. The other one is a 3com Etherlink III
I think (3c509).

It looks like the system is able to recognize
both of these (I can see the io and irq values
in dmesg).
but dhcp times out terminating with signal 2.
(timed out while waiting for a valid dchp server).

It may be irq collision (not quite sure yet, but that
may be happening)
* some problem that is preventing the IP address
from being assigned via dhcp.

I have option lines in modules.conf that I
add and comment out, but so far haven't found
a combination that works. Aside from

> AFAIK there is no specific kernel option needed for DHCP.

Thanks for confirming this.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Stephen Lee wrote:

> > First try using a different port on the hub - not the uplink.
> > (Pick a couple safe ones in the middle.)

> To elaborate -- if your hub is an older one and has a port that says
> 'uplink', it goes to the Yahoo!BB modem.  The cable from your PC's eth1
> card goes to any port other than the one shared with the uplink.
<cut>
> Anyway, if you plug into the wrong port, the LED on the hub will
> not
> light up so it should be fairly easy to tell.

OK.
I've got led lights, so all should be well.
I'm still a bit confused, though.
In order to get this to work properly,
I've got to connect the lan cord from the
modem to one lan card on the server for
eth1 (in my case, eth1 is to be used to
connect to Y!BB) and connect the hub to
the other lan card for eth0. So, I shouldn't
be connecting the lan cord from the modem
to the hub at all; rather to the card
in the server. Have I still got it wrong?

Thanks.

-T.L.