Re: [tlug] Red Hat 9 (was: small redhat 9 review)

I got my new RH9 installed, and so resolved some of the questions that I had
about it.

Regarding the up-versioning in increments of 1.0 or 0.1: My impression of
RH9 is that it would, in many people's eyes, be more on the equivalent of a
.2 or something like that. I don't mean this in a disparaging sense, because
I am glad I went through the trouble.

But there are no readily discernible changes in appearance or function that
one might normally associated with full one-point upgrade. It is more like
the things that were included in 8.0 just work a little better. In my case,
8.0 did not recognize my USB flashcard or my sound card. It also did not make
the best use of my monitor, and the hardware browser (hwbrowser) continually
crashed. In RH 9, all these points are corrected.

My feeling about this is that the decision to call this version 9 may well
have had something to do with the competition from Mandrake, who have
consistently numbered their versions one above RedHat, and I would not be
surprised if they feared that newcomers might be affected by this in making
their first choice of a Linux distro.

All I can say, after installing and running RH9 (and I'm sure that the other
major distros are at a comparable level of functionality), is that I feel sorry for
all of those individuals and companies out there who think that they have no
choice but to continue to pay big bucks for Windows upgrades. It's really a
crime!

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@example.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary [http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787