Re: [tlug] Re: XFree86 4.3.0 and truetype - followup

And Thus Spake Mike FABIAN <mfabian@example.com> (on Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:15:08
+0200):

> What fonts do you have in that directory and what are the
> contents of fonts.dir?

A collection of 127 TrueType fonts I liked the look of from M$ Windows
setups. Like Tahoma, Verdana and the like. M$ may be crap at system security
and the like but the system sure looks nice while it's being 0wn3d.

Plus a few from a CD I bought a while back containing over 3000 of the darn
things.

> Do you use the "freetype" module or the "xtt" module in XF86Config
> or are you using the font server xfs?

Slackware using xfs? :o)  I've only ever seen that on Red Hack and
Dumbdrake.

Oh crap - I think I've found the problem just now while looking for the
answer to this question in my XF86Config.

Both "freetype" and "xtt" are commented out. Lemme uncomment "freetype" and
try that...

<click click on the keyboard>

OK. Mozilla works. Now who looks dumb! :)

<drinks a gallon of coffee while OpenOffice loads>

OpenOffice works too.

> That's because GTK and KDE use them via libXft, not via the legacy
> X-server core font rendering mechanism.

Hmm. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Also, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Now, the question is, why would Volkerding disable both TTF rendering
engines?... Or is the XFree86 Project responsible for that?

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683