Re: [tlug] Business applications of Linux

On Thursday 10 April 2003 17:40, Sanjay Chigurupati wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently came across an article which said that lot of companies were
> switching to Linux in Japan. I was just wondering what kind  of
> applications might be used and what  areas Linux is being used in the
> companies.
> I would appreciate any input.

I think the Killer App is mainly Samba, which allows you to replace NT server
without anybody noticing. It is also easy to setup and works together with
remaining PDCs so that you can unified logon.

I think old economy companies do not have a very large e-business
infrasturucture, just two or three servers.  But some switch to use more
intranet sort of stuff, and then they will use Apache as an easy to configure
webserve.

You can also run DNS and DHCP service on Linux, but I am not sure how many
companies would actually replace NT or Solaris machines with linux for that
purpose.

Another good example are databases.  Some Linux versions are cheaper than the
windows version(DB2) and actually run more stable (Oracle).  Many will
consider replacing Unix servers with Linux for this, because traditionally
serious DBs were running on UNIX not NT.