[tlug] Mail server with Linux

Dear All,

I'm new to Linux, and just recently joined this list.  I inherited a
Red Hat Linux 5.0 mail server (SMTP/POP) which I'd like to replace with
something more, umm, up-to-date.  I've installed a server using RHL
8.0, following the instructions in "Red Hat Linux 8.0 de Tsukuru Jitaku
Saabaa for Linux" (Japanese book; I know, weird title).  For a while it
seemed to work, but then I noticed that some addresses seem to have
their "from" headers mangled.  I can't elaborate but suffice it to say
I'm still looking for that golden grail of a "properly" configured
SMTP/POP3 server.  I've scoured the web for instructions on enabling
SMTP/POP, but I just can't seem to find the "right" piece of
documentation.

If I may be allowed to post some questions to this list,

1)  Can anyone recommend a good book (preferably English) on how to
build a mail server with Linux?  I've looked in Amazon, but nothing
stood out begging to be purchased.
2)  Does anyone know if it's possible or advisable to try upgrading RHL
5.0 to 7.3, using the Linux install program (according to the
documentation, it can still upgrade earlier versions, including 5.0)?
3)  Is it possible to upgrade the sendmail package that came with RHL
5.0 to the latest version?  Any how-tos or docs?

Thanks,

Raymond Regalado
Tokyo

P.S.  I heard about this list from a friend of mine -- Jack Morgan --
who convinced me to be more serious about Linux (while he worked for
Mircrosoft ;-)).  I'm heeding his advice, and use RHL 8.0 at home,
along with Mac OS X, Win98 and Win2k.  My kids prefer Win98 because of
Toku-uchi, Shogi, Chess, and stuff, but they also play with Gnome
Stones and others on Linux when they're bored...