Re: [tlug] Linux as a black box server?

<Insert quote-for-context rant here>

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 12:31, Patrick Niessen wrote:

> Chances are that if something goes wrong, then it would not be solved by
> simply restarting the daemon involved.

There have been several cases where it did, esp. involving printing.
Of course, that was pre-Debian :-)

>  It may also be difficult for users
> to figure out which service is causing the problem

Enough of them are programmers (Windows programmers, granted)
that they can make a reasonable guess as to which button to push.

> it worse.  You better contact a service company, that will send an engineer
> in case you are unavailable.

In this town, they'll ask you "Linux?  What's that?"  OK, it's not *quite*
that bad, but I'd pass out and need a huge IV infusion of coffee if
they actually had a Linux admin on staff.  I'd get them to contract with
somebody from VietLUG to be on call in case of emergency.

> envelope in the GMs safe, and that will allow the engineer to do the job.

Safe?  Bahahahahaha! :-)

Jonathan Q
GPG key ID: ACC46EF9 (E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9)
To get my public key: gpg --recv-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu ACC46EF9