Re: [tlug] Mandrake 9.1 - For the record

And Thus Spake "Thomas Kruemmer" <tkruemmer@example.com> (on Sat, 05 Apr
2003 20:16:03 +0900):

> 'Braindead chimp' mode? Do you mean 'too user friendly', 'too usable for
> the general public'?

No, there's no such thing as "too useable for the general public" when
talking about a newbie-friendly distro.

The person who just wants the distro to get on with the job at hand and
install without asking questions they're not going to be able to answer is
going to find Mandrake fine.

What I didn't like about it was not being able to set things up the way *I*
wanted them set up rather than the way Mandrakesoft thought they should be
set up.

By all means, a newbie-friendly distro should make it easy for newbies to
use it, and Mandrakesoft is definitely addressing that particular issue.
This is a Good Thing (tm).

Making it impossible to use it as a Linux distro rather than a drop-in
replacement for Windows is, IMNSHO, a Bad Thing (tm).

Not for nothing has it been dubbed "Hood Welded Shut" Linux by another TLUG
member...

> (putting on a flame-retardant overall)

There's no need - I'm not going to flame anyone for liking a distro I don't
like :)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683