Re: [tlug] Re: CAT5e CAT6 and Gigabit Ethernet

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Lee" <sl@example.com>

> What kind of network card are you using?  You cannot saturate a gigabit
> network with a 32bit/33MHz NIC.  And if you are reading from a single
> harddisk, 40MByte/s is about what you can get.

Quite true.  If he's using budget GigE cards, he might saturate the card
with the disk, though.  A year or so ago I read a review of about a dozen
GigE cards ranging from bargain-basement to top-of-the-line.  Even the best
cards only went 800 mpbs or so of actual throughput, and the worst ones were
in the 200 - 300 mbps range.

Jonathan