Re: [tlug] kanji dictionary

Edward Middleton writes:
 > On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 11:23, Joe Larabell wrote:
 > > On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Ulrich Plate wrote:
 > >
 > > > Jim Tittsler mentioned our little club here yesterday, the ZOK. If
 > > > you're interested in dictionaries on old Zauri, that's where you'll get
 > > > all the answers you want. The built-in (or separately purchased)
 > > > dictionary from Gakken isn't bad - the stuff we use is *much* better...
 > > > :) http://zaurus.biojapan.de/zaurus.html is a good starting point.
 > >
 > > I ran across this site before when I was looking for a dictionary for the
 > > SL-C700. It does look like a very good option for those with MI-series
 > > systems. Do you have any idea if/when ZPDVIEW will be available for the
 > > SL-series? Is the source available?
 >
 > I looked at that site but the only useful thing I learnt was that eijiro
 > is a good dictionary.  I have just done the epic SL-C700 dictionary
 > install (over 200Meg of compressed dictionaries) I will try to give some
 > usefull pointers.
 >
 > Use epwing dictionaries.  There are many dictionaries and many readers.
 > I use zten
 >
 > http://www.gohome.org/zten/zten_1.6.0_arm.ipk

I just installed zten, but all I get is the hour glass for some time
and then nothing. My guess was that it needs a dictionary installed.
So I got edict-fpw1.2.1.zip  and unzipped it into /mnt/card/dict,
still nothing. Since all the instructions are in Japanese, I haven't
gone through it all (without a dictionary and all :(.

 > Once you have installed a reader look at
 >
 > http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/edict/fpw/
 >
 > for a large list of dictionarys mostly in epwing format.  Many that
 > arn't have conversion programs.  There are conversion programs for the
 > eijiro and waeijiro which both work but you need to install freepwing
 > first
 >
 > ftp://ftp.sra.co.jp/pub/misc/freepwing/freepwing-1.4.3.tar.gz
 >
 > >From the site you mentioned above it was suggested that the eijiro
 > dictionary was too big and slow.  I didn't find any of the dictionaries
 > to be slow.  I even tried using all dictionaries simultanously and the
 > speed was still acceptable.  I am using a 500Meg SD card.

I got the EIjiro dictionary from amazon.co.jp, could you give me a tip
on how I have to use freepwing to transform the file on the CD-ROM and
how to install it on the SD-Card.

Regards

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |