Re: [tlug] kanji dictionary

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 11:23, Joe Larabell wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Ulrich Plate wrote:
>
> > Jim Tittsler mentioned our little club here yesterday, the ZOK. If
> > you're interested in dictionaries on old Zauri, that's where you'll get
> > all the answers you want. The built-in (or separately purchased)
> > dictionary from Gakken isn't bad - the stuff we use is *much* better...
> > :) http://zaurus.biojapan.de/zaurus.html is a good starting point.
>
> I ran across this site before when I was looking for a dictionary for the
> SL-C700. It does look like a very good option for those with MI-series
> systems. Do you have any idea if/when ZPDVIEW will be available for the
> SL-series? Is the source available?

I looked at that site but the only useful thing I learnt was that eijiro
is a good dictionary.  I have just done the epic SL-C700 dictionary
install (over 200Meg of compressed dictionaries) I will try to give some
usefull pointers.

Use epwing dictionaries.  There are many dictionaries and many readers.
I use zten

http://www.gohome.org/zten/zten_1.6.0_arm.ipk

Once you have installed a reader look at

http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/edict/fpw/

for a large list of dictionarys mostly in epwing format.  Many that
arn't have conversion programs.  There are conversion programs for the
eijiro and waeijiro which both work but you need to install freepwing
first

ftp://ftp.sra.co.jp/pub/misc/freepwing/freepwing-1.4.3.tar.gz

>From the site you mentioned above it was suggested that the eijiro
dictionary was too big and slow.  I didn't find any of the dictionaries
to be slow.  I even tried using all dictionaries simultanously and the
speed was still acceptable.  I am using a 500Meg SD card.

--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>