Re: [tlug] Apache & suexec

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:31, Jim Breen wrote:
> A question about Apache & suexec.
>
> The problem is that we can't get CGIs firing. There are suexec error logs
> saying there is a GID/UID mismatch (he has given me ownership of the
> cgi-bin directory. The friend has never configured Apache before.

For suExec to be active it needs the username and group to be specified in the
httpd configuration.

User fred
Group users

This is usually in the VirtualHost definition as suExec is about making things
for that virtualhost run as a different user to the rest of the server (which
is probably running as apache or nobody).

The GID/UID mismatch error usually comes along if the user and group in the
configuration and the user and group on something in the DocumentRoot don't
match.

It can happen if the DocumentRoot directory itself, the cgi-bin or the cgi
executable is not owned by the user/group specified.

Setting the appropriate ownerships on the files usually sorts it out.

-- Sam

Sam Tilders
sam@example.com

Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am.  (Descartes)