Re: [tlug] Sorry to Hijack a thread but whats wrong with LILO

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:25:17AM +0900, David Blomberg wrote:
> I use GRUB and LILO and to tell you the truth I would rather be caught
> in an emergency with LILO than GRUB.  With GRUB it is a pain to have to
> convert from the standard HDA1 to their custom and I use GRUB so
> seldomly I can never get the right command when I need it--While
> recovering with LILO I put in the recovery CD/Floppy and get to use the
> standard commands.  To me GRUB is an annoyance! (if they would only use
> the standard "HDA" and "SDA" I would be more than willing until then I'm
> a pround LILO user!!!

Watch it, your linux prejudice is showing. So you want them to stick to
"standard" names? GRUB loads a lot of OSes so which standard names did
you have in mind:

solaris: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
netbsd:  /dev/wd0a
dos:		c:
WinNT:  multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

If you ask me, Grub is doing a good job of being agnostic in a sane
fashion. It ain't a linux world and while lilo works Grub is definitely
the more advanced, flexible boot loader.

--Matt