[tlug] Debian 3.0r1 keyboard timeout and mouse MIA

I recently took the plunge, backing up my /home and replacing my RH 7.3
install with Debian Woody (3.0r1).

OK, it took a couple of tries to get it right (the received wisdom is that
the key to getting Oracle on Linux working right is to install it three
times, and that may well be true for the first stab at Debian, too :-) but
things are working pretty well now and LILO (when, oh when, are they gonna
stop using that?!) has been replaced with GRUB.  There's just one little
problem:
the mouse doesn't work.

It doesn't work in X.  It doesn't work at a console with gpm running.  It
doesn't matter if I use /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice.

In addition, I occassionally get this message from the kernel in
/var/log/messages:

Timeout - AT keyboard not present?

Googling on this topic has been inconclusive, mostly finding old stuff
about IA64 McKinley with 2.2.x kernels or sometimes a similar problem on
MIPS or Alpha.  A case that sticks in my mind involved recompiling the
kernel with a different Alpha-specific option.  Not much use in this case,
but great if you have an Alpha and are using a 2.2.x kernel :-)

The kernel is the standard 3.0r1 2.4.18-bf2.4 that was put in place by the
installer.

My keyboard and mouse are a Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro and Logitech
Cordless Mouseman Wheel, both USB.  These are seen and registered in the
boot sequence, and usb-uhci is being loaded, so it *seems* like it should
work. But it doesn't.

The fact that I'm also seeing the keyboard timeout message (although the
keyboard continues to function perfectly) makes me suspect that despite
seeing what look like all the right boot messages (sorry, can't post them -
I'm in my office right now and that machine is at home) makes there may be
some problem involving the USB modules and maybe the keyboard is only
working because of BIOS legacy keyboard support (haven't had the courage
yet to turn that off and test my theory), but, especially being new to
Debian and the Debian Way, a kick in the right direction as to where to
look would be much appreciated.

TIA for any ideas,

Jonathan