Re: [tlug] Intro to Linux System Calls

And Thus Spake Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> (on Sat, 22 Feb 2003
22:57:00 -0500):

> If anyone who knows a bit about kernel hacking would like to give me
> feedback / flames, I would greatly appreciate it.

Your page says:

«When the user program invokes a syscall, an interrupt (with an address of
0x80) is thrown.»

What exactly do you mean?

Do you mean "the software interrupt _number_ 0x80 (of which the vector is at
address 0x200 in the IDT) is thrown." or "the software interrupt number 0x20
(of which the _vector_ is at address 0x80 in the IDT) is thrown."?

<set mode=pedantic>
«you expect the user to have access to the struct that he passed you a
pointer to»
I think «you expect the user to have access to the structure to which you
were given a pointer» is better :)
<set mode=sloppy>

This is a great document, Josh. I hope it will encourage kernel hacking, if
not to add stuff to the kernel at least to understand better what's already
there.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
A grammarian's life is always intense.