Re: [tlug] bash question

Quoth Jean-Christian Imbeault (Tue 2003-02-18 10:43:15AM +0900):

> Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> >Sorry to say this, JC, but this is a severe case of lack-of-RTFMing-before-
> >posting.
>
> No, it was not for lack of RTFM'ing. I was for lack of spotting the
> semi-colon. What kind of a programming language makes if a separate
> statement from the then part?

Bash is not a programming language. Shell scripting languages, whose sole
raison d'etre is to allow you to automate common shell tasks that you find
yourself doing repeatedly, use ghetto syntax to avoid having to break out
a recursive descent parser (slow!) to interpret the code. Bash is great for
what it is great for, and when you find it sucking, use Perl, Python, or
even C.

> Seriously, I did RTFM and Google and even have a great book on shell
> scripting. I just don't *do* shell scripting and figured my problem was
> in how I was using the comparison operator.

See Matt's commentary, with which I agree.

> Could you post these links again as they didn't make it through in your
> first post.

Sorry, I think the TLDP site timed out on me:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

Scott's page is also a great resource.

> <rant>
> I've gotten used to the level of bitterness on this list so I *do*
> research my own questions before I post. Trust me, tlug is not the first
> thing I try.

I would not say that we are "bitter", we have just become used to a high
level of quality on this list, so we react with irritation when we feel that
our time or our list bandwidth is being wasted.

We just do not want to see TLUG degrade into a "help me tie my shoes" list.
Some people feel that it already has. They left this list six months ago, and
the list is a much less useful place because of it.

> For all we know I could be the world's greatest Lisp programmer...

No, that would be either Steve Turnbull or Richard Stallman. ;)

I am pretty sure that understanding Lisp is the Computer Science equivalent
of reaching enlightenment. (Please, Scott, rein in the window-manager jokes!)

In summation, I am not attacking you as a person, JC, I am asking you to
treat this list as a precious resource and not waste its time with questions
that Google can answer easily.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967