[tlug] Re: im-ja: A Japanese input module for GTK2

>> From: David Oftedal <david@example.com>
>>
>> I'm sure different lists have different views on this though. I choose
>> to believe that people actually read the topic before they read the
>> mail. -.-

If that's your justification for top-posting, you have not understood why
many people don't like it.

>> I'll look into changing my preferences if a lot of people complain about
>> this.

I complain. When I see lines of quoted material, I expect that it signals
further comment, so I page down to see what that comment is. When I find
it is simply undeleted old material, I feel that the poster is either
lazy, or treating the reader (i.e. me) with a degree of contempt, or both.
Either way, I feel less inclined to read or pay attention to further
comment by that person.

AFAIK, top-posting is becoming more prevalent because of the increased
numbers of people using browsers, etc, where the levels of quotation are
coloured or whatever and it is easier to see what is new or old. Some of
us use text-based mailers where that does not apply.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298