[tlug] top posting (was: Re: im-ja: A Japanese input module for GTK2)

David Oftedal wrote:

> Botond Botyanszki wrote:
>
> > ps: top posting is considered a bad netiquette on this list.
>
> I'm sure different lists have different views on this though. I choose
> to believe that people actually read the topic before they read the
> mail. -.-

Personally, I've never seen a list where top posting is preferred
but I've heard that such lists are supposed to exist. (^_-)
If you are quoting well, i.e. you don't just blindly quote the whole
mail, then it is IMHO logical to write you replies below the quoted parts.

...and what would u do if some1 is going 2 post like this ?

> I'll look into changing my preferences if a lot of people complain about
> this.

Consider this a complaint. :-)

In an earlier mail you wrote:

> What would be REALLY cool, though, is if we finally got a tri-lingual
> CJK input method that didn't need X at all, so that we could use CJK
> with all the different encodings under the Frame buffer console as well
> as under X.

Yes that would be nice, but I think the problem here is that to support
the "over the spot"-Style it has to be integrated into your widget
library. If the widget library supports XIM you have that already
AFAICT. The textconsole is a different matter.

> Perhaps a modification to the VGA framebuffer module in the kernel would
> prove to be the final solution to this problem.

For the above reason I don't think the problem can be solved at that
layer.
For X a input method supporting multiple languages with a consistent
interface and on-the-fly switching would be nice.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits