[tlug] kinput2 & gtk2

GTK1/GNOME1 programs behave the way I like: the kinput2 status window
(with the hiragana A) is below the caret following it while inputting
text. With GTK2/GNOME2 it has changed so that the status window is now
attached to the bottom left corner of the client window. I didn't touch
my .Xresources, and it's kind of annoying to have gtk1 and gtk2 behave
differently with the same kinput2 settings.
After reading the kinput2 manual again, I added
"Kinput2*OverTheSpotConversion.modeLocation: tracktext" to my
.Xresources, merged with xrdb, but didn't help.

Any solutions to this? Maybe I should ask on gtk-i18n too.

Also I'd like to hear why (some) people prefer the status window not
beeing over-the-spot? What's the advantage of having it on the bottom of
the window? The two other gtk2 input modules for japanese I tried
(im-canna, and uim) were both using this method.