[tlug] using a cross-cable

I couldn't find an answer to this on the web.

Is it possible to network two Linux machine directly without a hub if I
use a cross-cable?

I put together a cross-cable (at least my tester says it's a
cross-cable. I've never made a cable before so I am assuming a cross
cable just mean all the wires are reversed ...) and tried networking two
Linux boxes but the ethernet cards don't light up when I plug the cable
in. However if I use two straight cables and a hub the machines network
fine ...

Is this some special procedure to network machines using a cross-cable?

Thanks!

Jc