[tlug] iptables: problem with REJECT

I'm trying to add an iptable rule with a REJECT target but it keeps
getting refused. If I change the target to DROP though it's accepted.
Can someone spot my error? Is REJECT no longer a valid target? (the man
page indicate it is still a valid target ...)

# iptables -F
# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

# iptables -A INPUT -d 127.0.0.0/8 -j REJECT
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
# iptables -A INPUT -d 127.0.0.0/8 -j DROP
# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
DROP       all  --  anywhere             127.0.0.0/8

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Thanks!

Jc