[tlug] New GPL project: Rikai in Mozilla

  Hi. Just a quick note that I'm GPLing some work I did in December on
getting a standalone version of Rikai.com running as a Mozilla app
(1.2.1). It was painful, and I got it to a functioning level, but I've
come to realise I'll never get enough time to finish it, so I'm hoping
some people with interest will be able to contribute what's needed.
  Anyway, it's currently an unannounced project on mozdev at
http://rikaixul.mozdev.org/index.html
  Screenshots at http://rikaixul.mozdev.org/screenshots.html

  One great advantage of doing it locally is that I can try to match
words whereever the mouse points rather than trying to segment with
heuristics. That works out quite well I think, allowing lookups of kana
phrases as easily as kanji.

  Just a word of warning--I have no installation script or instructions
yet. That's probably the best first task. But it also means this won't
be terribly easy to get working until/unless one has a hello-world XUL
up and running, which is quite a bit harder than it should be.

  Startup time is a bit long--especially as it tries to download
edict.zip and kanjidic.zip from Jim's site if they're not present. That
might have been overkill on my part.

  Anyway, let me know if there's interest.

cheers,
Todd Rudick