Re: [tlug] ifup gives "ifRTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument" error

Jim Tittsler wrote:

 > 'broadcast' is spelled wrong.

Oops ... very true. But after correcting my spelling:

# ifdown eth1
# ifup eth1 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.1.1.255
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

While this works:

[root@example.com root]# /etc/init.d/network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down interface eth1:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters:                                [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]

And I though that RH's /etc/init.d/network script was just a convenient
interface to ifup, ifconfig and ifdown ...

Jc