Re: [tlug] Linux and USB Flash Memory Drives

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 02:17:53PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with using the locally sold USB flash memory
> drives (IO Data, Buffalo, Melco, etc) with Linux?
>
> I can't find anything on flash memory in the hardware compatibility lists, and the product
> information pages for these manufacturers do not indicate Linux support.
>
> On the other hand, the product information pages for comparable U.S. made
> products generally list Linux 2.4+ as being supported, without needing
> special drivers.

Because they are essentially blocks of flash attached to a USB controller,
The USB mass storage driver should be able to cope automatically. You need
to have SCSI support in the kernel though. Then when you plug the device
in, "dmesg" will show where it has been mapped to, just fdisk/mke2fs/mount
as required, it looks like a normal SCSI disk. Some digicams also work
like this, I know my Casio does.

Tim.

--
"ergo it is easier to drag sheep downhill" - Applied Ergonomics Magasine
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.