[tlug] InstalFun/SuSE/RedHat

February 9th, 2003

After buying SuSE Linux 8.1, I installed it in two computers - one a
Hitachi 300MHz/10GB/256MB, and the other a Dell Dimension C
565MHz/20GB/512MB.  The Hitachi began with high resolution, but after
installing, the monitor wouldn't display anything and my efforts at
adjusting the settings were not successful, so I gave up on having SuSE
in the Hitachi and put RedHat 8.0 back in (no problem with RH-8.0).

I then put SuSE 8.1 into the Dell, which worked, but while the automatic
install is easier in some ways than RedHat, I wasn't able to control it
the way I had wanted and ended up with a light install.  One reason I
bought it in the first place is that with the eight disks, I figured I'd
do a full install and then have a lot of things to play around with.
Whatever - it's in (only slightly over 1GB of it though), and I aim to
go over the manuals and see how to tweak things.

This recommendation for people pondering whether to use RedHat or SuSE
though (I don't know much about other distros), I would recommend
RedHat.  SuSE has some nice touches, but seems loose in that all the
pieces don't seem to work together as seemlessly as with RedHat.  In any
case, I've certainly had better luck with installing RedHat 8.0 than
SuSE 8.1.

One question: Is BlueFish a good text editor?  It's not part of the
light install, but it was recommended to me, and so I'd like to try it.
Any info about it?

Lyle