Re: [tlug] Bad blocks on HD found during RH install

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

>  > Learn to use fdisk and mkfs.*
>
> Is all the functionality I need available on one of the installer consoles?

It should be there. At least it was a few years ago, because the installer
itself is (was?) using mkfs for filesystem setup.

> If so do you recommend doing this before the installer starts looking
> for partitions? I.e. just before the partition menu, manually create all
> the partitions with fdisk, then create the fs with mkfs

This is what I do. When the installer gets to the partitioning stage with all
the ide and relevant modules loaded (this is neccessary, otherwise fdisk and
friends won't find /dev/hda) I just go to to the console and manually create
them all, then just let the installer use this setup.

>  > Meanwhile, you should start thinking about buying a new drive.
> You think one bad block means I should trash the drive? I tought a
> couple of bad blocks are normal ...

Normal? You have pretty high chances of getting more of those in the near
future. (I'm speaking from experience). Don't wait for the time when another
bunch of bad sectors will hit. Of course you can still use this drive for
storing less important data.