Re: [tlug] How do recover from a re-format?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:23:57PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> No format. Just lost the partition table (I think and hope).

Shouldn't be much of a problem then.

> I'll try but this is an 80Gb drive with about 8 partitions, 3 of them I
> can mount ... hda1 is / hda2 is /boot and hda3 is /www, the rest can't
> be mounted. I remember roughly how big each was but not the order.

Then you can try to create the others by trial and error. You only get 5
tries so choose wisely. ;)

Oh and since you can mount /, check /etc/fstab to see what partitions
you had and where they went. Some distros now use labels instead of the
device names, but it still might be useful.

> And worst yet, I have never manually created partitions ... I guess I
> have to use fdsisk? If I use fdisk and guess wrong at a partition size,
> location, will it mess anything up?

'fdisk' is recommended. Don't worry about messing anything up since it
only changes the MBR, but write down the cylinder numbers for the first
3 partitions.

Good luck.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 267E0D0E