Re: [tlug] Suse 8.1 In-Hand

> > full install of SuSE is over six GB.  What is in that extra two GB?
> > Never mind - I'll find out soon enough.
>
> That other 2GB contains roughly 300 packages that you will never use.

Its not bad to install the Default with Office version if you have enough
space, and preferably a DVD-R.  You may get some junk along, but that is
easily removed with yast later.

If you are bloat conscious, then you could do the minimum install or the
minimum graphical install and then add packages later which you need.

You can save space by limiting the number of graphical interfaces, ie. either
Gnome or KDE.  Mind you though, I heard that Gnome is badly configured on
Suse.

If you are looking for individual packages, use the search faeture in yast and
type the application, eg. ftp or dns.  You then normally get a choice of two
or three different programs.

Oh ! One big hint: Suse really likes ReiserFS, and suggest that as default for
your root partition.  I normally replace this Reiser partition with XFS,
which I think is better.  Or you might choose ext3.  There a some issues when
you install XFS over a partition that used to be reiser, so if you change
your mind you need to zero the partition (instructions can be found on the
www.gentoo.org site under install instructions).

Patrick