Re: [tlug] load averge question

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:01:03PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I have set up a public web server (apache) on a RH 7.3 machine and the
> load average on the machine goes spikes up pretty high (>3) at the
> oddest times.

How odd is odd? If its something like 4am, then its daily cronjobs. At
other times, it could be other cronjobs.

> Could the spike be cause by Apache spawning a bunch of server to meet
> it's MinSpare clients setting?

Could be. Why don't you set the script so whenever the load goes above a
certain number, it prints a list of processes and the resources they are
taking up?

One of my scripts monitors the number of processes and memory usage
and sends a warning message if either goes above a predefined number.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
System Administrator