Re: [tlug] UTF-8 for single-byte character sets

Godwin Stewart wrote:

> You'll be pleased to hear that Sylpheed 0.8.10 which has just been
> released*does* understand unicode on my Slack 8.1 (GTK+ 1.2.10) box.

Meaning you can read and write French and Japanese in one and the same
message, and when you reply it doesn't make entire lines disappear from
the quoted section?

Godwin, that's great news, but I'll definitely need help with the
installation. From what everyone on the sylpheed ML said I gathered that
0.8.9 was already supposed to support UTF-8, but I never managed to get
it to work. Do I need to run sylpheed in a special locale, or use
specific compile time options? What fonts are you using? How do you even
manage to keep font settings in sylpheedrc? Mine are being overridden
every time I launch sylpheed...

I'd be really glad if this worked out!
Ulrich Plate

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key CF7D6206
Fingerprint CDD6 3225 3489 1305 D4D6 1CCF 50E8 6505 CF7D 6206