Re: [tlug] jp encoding detection

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 18:07:08 -0800
"Brett Robson" <Brett.Robson@example.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a lot of files that are inconsistent in encoding, most are
> EUC but a fair few are in SJIS. I don't want to go through each one so
> I'm looking for a utility that identifies which encoding is used in a
> file. nkf and kcc don't seem to do this. (I could force all to EUC,
> but first I want to know what the problem is)
>
> I haven't thought it through but a programme wouldn't be too hard but
> I don't really want to write one.
>
> Brett

Quick Kanji code Converter (qkc) may help you here. As per nkf and kcc,
it's main purpose is converting between codes, but unlike nkf it prints
a line telling you what it converted from -> to.

It defaults to EUC, so a quick test of a file type would be to convert
to stdout with the -O flag like this:

qkc -O test.doc

If you file is already in EUC, you get this

 Skipped: qkc.doc       EUC already exists

otherwise it tells you what it did

Converted: qkc.doc       (JIS to EUC)

qkc is available from http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA000501/

Hope this helps you what

Stu

--
GnuPG KeyID 1607E7F7
Key fingerprint = 5C38 AA94 A4C1 6AAF 0EE4  C089 EE01 193D 1607 E7F7