Re: [tlug] YahooBB Setup/Etc

Stuart Bouyer <stuart_bouyer@example.com> wrote:

> The only palce I had to enter a password for yahooBB was for my mail.
> The yahoo modem does pppoe and is continually connected to the yahooBB
> network, all I had to do to get online was run dhcpcd and it did all the
> rest

YahooBB does not do PPPoE, at least not in my experience.  The modem is
not a router, only a switch.  Which means

1) Your computer gets a global IP and is completely visible
   from the internet,
2) The MTU is larger (than when using PPPoE),
2) You are getting an IP from a YahooBB DHCP server, not your modem,
   and hence
3) You can only get 1 IP address via DHCP (YahooBB configured their
   server that way).

This may change if you get the newer modem with wireless LAN (I've only
experienced their 8M service), you might get a router, but still I doubt
they'd use PPPoE on the WAN interface even on that.

Stephen