Re: [tlug] Suse 8.1 Disks

On Monday 03 February 2003 12:24, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> First, thank you for the info, and is there a cheap way to get Suse 8.1
> already on disk?  I obtained the version of RadHat 8.0 I'm using in a
> computer magazine.  If Suse is not in a magazine, then maybe it's in a
> book?  Or will I need to buy the boxed version?
>
> Lyle

even though red-hat is arguably not a nice distribution, I don't think you
need to change distribution to enable streaming audio.  realplayer should be
a short download.

If you want to try out suse, you can download a trial cd-rom from their
server.  This is however a live-system, and so not really very usefull and
just gives you a glimpse.

You can also download a basic install disk, and then do an ftp install.  It
will take some time to get started using this method, but you get the full
product without the cost.

Lastly, I think buying the boxed distro is a good idea for starters like you.
Besides 7 CD-ROMS with most packages you ever need, you also get a bootable
DVD with the same content, as well as two pretty good manuals (one for
administration and one for the user side).

Patrick