Re: [tlug] Docbook and Japanese

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:29:23AM -0500, Matthew Tippett wrote:

> Just getting used to inputting text using kinput2, and have a question
> about how to get docbook to generate a pdf which has kanji characters.
>
> In kterm I can see the kanji, but when I run docbook2pdf it seems to not
> use the appropriate charset, leaving random high characters when I use
> xpdf or acroread.

It's been a while since I've dealt with this sort of thing, but I'll try
to help. There are a number of possible causes for this, so let me ask
you a few questions.

 1. What is the encoding of the source document? Have you verified this,
    or are you assuming, based on your environment?

 2. Are you using DocBook SGML or XML?

 3. Have you set any environment variables for SP/Jade (e.g.
    SP_ENCODING)?

 4. What version of docbook2pdf are you using?

 5. What versions of the docbook stylesheets and JadeTeX do you have?

Also, if I could see samples of the input and output, I'm more likely to
be able to help.

mgushee@example.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.