Re: [tlug] Interesting info on Korean spam (OT)

Godwin Stewart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What the subject doesnt say is that, from what I can see, it's the ISP
> itself (kornet) doing the spamming, not a subscriber.

any clues as to how did you reached that conclusion?

> spoofed address. Today, running "whois 211.194.117.163" gives (among much
> crap in Korean) this - look at the "connect" and "registration" dates:
>
> IP Address         : 211.194.117.160-211.194.117.191
> Network Name       : KORNET-LLINE-DAEJEON-ENJOYLIFE
> Connect ISP Name   : KORNET
> Connect Date       : 20030122
> Registration Date  : 20030122
>
> So, what conclusions do you draw?

if you look at http://whois.nic.or.kr/english/index.html it gives you
all the contact details in English.  Not sure what you mean by 'crap in
Korean' - it's only giving you the same information.

> tell me that the IP name was possibly forged - or is there someone inside
> Kornet doing the spamming?
Why not contact them, or the Network abuse contacts listed?

Not wanting to get into an OT discussion, but labelling Korean ISPs as
spammers seems strange to me.
Reminds me of when I visited Internet cafes in China last year.  All
access to .jp domain websites had been blocked (=blacklisted as porn).

Guy