Re: [tlug] Re: How to get sylpheed to display Japanese?

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:20:39 +0900
Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com> wrote:

> Scott Robbins wrote:

> > > http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html
> > >
> > > There is a section "Gentoo Linux and Japanese".
> >
> > Yeah, but I wrote that and don't have the answer. :-( .  I'm trying
> > to emerge sylpheed now with the cjk variables and will have a report
> > soon--oops, almost time for Buffy, well, in an hour or so.
>
> This will work perfectly well, USE="cjk" or not. Scott's usual wrapper
> script approach (check the Computertaijutsu pages if you don't know
> what I'm talkin about) works with Sylpheed, too, no need to bend over
> backwards. The real question is: How do I get Sylpheed to display
> anything BUT Japanese once I've started it this way? In spite of
> Sylpheed 0.8.9 being released with UTF-8 support, Godwin already
> complained about not getting it to work a couple of days ago, and I
> haven't figured it out yet, either. If anybody could help with THAT,
> I'd be extremely grateful.

Hope this helps then,

emerge libjconv
emerge sylpheed

then start sylpheed using Scott's langx script and all should be right.

At least that is what I did on my machine (actually I emerged
sylpheed-claws as I prefer the filtering in -claws). Note sylpheed
doesn't seem to use UTF for the list section, but the body displays fine

Stu

--
GnuPG KeyID 1607E7F7
Key fingerprint = 5C38 AA94 A4C1 6AAF 0EE4  C089 EE01 193D 1607 E7F7