Re: [tlug] eth0 not coming up ...

Shimpei Yamashita wrote:

> Do you have the ethernet driver compiled statically into your custom
> kernel, by any chance?

I think your on the right track here. In my custom kernel I did
statically compile the ethernet driver. I guess by doing a 'make
modules' or 'make modules_install' I erased the old ethernet module and
my old RH kernel can no longer find it?

If this is so, what is the proper way to compile a custom kernel *but*
have it create it's own set of modules without overwriting/deleting any
modules another kernel uses?

I did:

# make menuconfig
# make dep
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make mdules_install

And I am guessing that the 'make modules_install' wasn't quite the right
thing to do?

 > If so, the RH kernel needs to be told which
 > kernel driver module to install, by editing /etc/modules.conf....

I have the feeling that the module has been deleted. When I boot up in
the RH kernel lsmod gives me and entry for ext3 and one for jdb, nothing
else.

So now:

1- How do I find out if the module still exists? And if so what do I
need to do to get it loaded.

2- If the module is gone, what can I do short of recompiling a kernel. I
would happily do this except that the RH kernel I am having troubles
with was compiled at install time so I would have no idea what
options/modules/etc ... it was compiled with.

Thanks for the help!

Jc