Re: [tlug] Distro for the Mac

I've only installed YellowDogLinux (2.3) and Gentoo (1.4) so far. Both
work perfectly well, my personal preference of course being Gentoo PPC,
essentially identical to Gentoo on my x86 PCs. Other distributions
available for Macs are Debian (3.0), SuSE (7.3) and Mandrake (8.2). As
you can see they're lagging a bit behind the x86 releases, but that
doesn't really mean much because the hardware in Macintosh PCs is less
chaotic, all those bleeding edge kernel modules to support IEEE12345
CA-TCH_22 USB-NICs etc. are unnecessary on that platform.

Your friend doesn't seem to like OS X, but just so that you know, he
could run it from within Linux, too: Mac-on-Linux (v0.9.65) is now able
to boot into X.2.n. This is one thing I find truly amazing about Linux
on Macs, by the way: MOL is not an emulator, more like a virtual machine
running Mac OS natively. But you can run both at the same time:
<ctrl-alt-F7> to switch to X on Linux, <ctrl-alt-F8> to MOL and Mac OS.
Like VMWare for x86, only you don't get a chance to pay anyone for it.

If that friend of yours ever wants to get rid of his Cube, have him
throw it in my general direction, I'll snatch it up gladly. Fanless,
yummy... :)

Cheers
Ulrich Plate

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key CF7D6206
Fingerprint CDD6 3225 3489 1305 D4D6 1CCF 50E8 6505 CF7D 6206