Re: [tlug] eth0 not coming up ...

Quoth Jean-Christian Imbeault (Tue 2003-01-21 05:44:31PM +0900):

> Jim O'Connell wrote:
> >
> >See if /sbin/netconfig is installed. (It should be on 7.2) Do as root.
>
> No, not installed. I did a minimal installation of RH7.2 packages.

That is OK. netconfig does not do anything that you cannot do yourself with
ifconfig or dhcpcd.

> I don't think it is a driver problem so much as an rpm is missing or
> something. The strange thing is that my custom kernel try to start eth0
> (and succeeds) while the RH kernel doesn't even try. And a
> /etc/init.d/network restart doesn't try for eth0 either.

It is most certainly a driver problem. Do you know what kind of network card
you have? I would assume, since you said the machine was a 1U box, that the
network card is onboard. Being even more assumptuous, I will state that the
card is more than likely an Intel Pro-100, as that card is a very popular
one for rack-mount server boards.

First, find out what kind of network card you have. Then, follow these steps:

1) ls /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/net/
2) Locate the driver for your card here (try eepro100 if you do not know)
3) Become root:
4) modprobe eepro100
5) tail /var/log/kern   # look for notices about drivers claiming devices
6) ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up
7) ifconfig   # do you see eth0 now?

If that worked, see 'man ifconfig' or 'man dhcpcd' to configure your card.

HTH,
Josh

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967