[tlug] eth0 not coming up ...

I just installed RH7.2 on a new machine and everything went fine. I then
decided to roll my own 2.4.20 kernel, and that what fine too.

But now if I boot with the original RH7.2 kernel (2.4.7-10 I think?)
eth0 doesn't come up. Actually the system doesn't even try to bring it up.

I've tried /etc/init.d/network restart but that only brings up the local
interface and doesn't bother trying to bring up eth0. I also tried
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0" but that didn't do anything
either ....

I might have specified some firewall settings during the installation so
I turned off ipchains and iptables (using chkconfig --level 0123456 ip*
off) hoping that would help but no ...

Why won't eth0 start with the default kernel and how can I fix it? I've
done all the stuff I know how to and need a few helpful pointers ...

Thanks!

Jc