[tlug] Re: /etc/host setup

Jim Breen wrote:

> HOWEVER, tin won't let me post any messages, as it requires a valid,
> fully-qualified host-name (other than localhost.localdomain). I can fool it
> by changing it to frodo.foobar.com, but if I try and start up Linux that way
> all sorts of services fall over because they can't resolve
> frodo.foobar.com.
>
> Any thoughts on how I can get around this?

Your /etc/hosts should look similar to this one:

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.2.241	melchior.yamamaya.is-a-geek.org	melchior
192.168.2.1	nukunuku.yamamaya.is-a-geek.org	nukunuku

For the domain part you should use a not existing tld (e.g. .private)
or a dyndns service to get a working domainname.
Resolving the names should work even without a dns server because they
are specified in /etc/hosts. (Depends on /etc/nsswitch.conf of course,
which should have the line "hosts: files dns")

From the hostname manpage:
|   THE FQDN
|       Technically: The FQDN is the name gethostbyname(2) returns for
|       the host name returned by gethostname(2).  The DNS domain name is
|       the part after the first dot.

My host's name is melchior, so it looks up melchior and finds the fqdn
melchior.yamamaya.is-a-geek.org in /etc/hosts.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits