Re: [tlug] fgrep: passing results to vi

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:57:43PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I'm using "fgrep -rI ..." to find files that contain certain patterns.
> Then I use vi to edit the files.
>
> Is there a way for me to pass the results (filenames) to vi so that I
> can jump right into vi and start editing the files?

You could do something like:

vi `fgrep -rI pattern /dir/to/check/ | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq`

There may be an option to only print the filenames in which case you
dont need the awk statement. I can't find any such option though.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 267E0D0E